Our Aboriginal Heritage
Imagine living near Camperdown thousands of years ago and watching the volcanoes of Mt Leura and Mt Sugarloaf grow.
The Leehura people, who once inhabited the Camperdown district, did just this.
In fact they named Mt Sugarloaf ‘Tuunumbee Heear’ or ‘moving moving women’ due to the fast rate that this volcano grew.
The Leehura people used Mt Leura and Mt Sugarloaf as signalling towers and lookouts to watch the movements of animals and neighbouring peoples.
The mounts provided important landmarks, guiding the local people’s semi-nomadic lifestyle.
The last full-blooded member of the Leehura people, Wombeech Puuyuun (Camperdown George – pictured above left) died in Camperdown in 1883.
A stone obelisk memorial to Camperdown George was erected in the Camperdown Cemetery by James Dawson, local Aboriginal protector at the time. This memorial still exists today.
Find out more at the Camperdown Historical Society, history page. A big thank you to the Historical Society for the use of these photos, they are the owners of the photos – rights reserved.